Woodard leads by 2 at U.S. Women's Mid-Amateur
- By Associated Press
- Oct 6, 2012 9:33 PM ET
SAN ANTONIO – Dawn Woodard shot a 3-under 69 on Saturday at Briggs Ranch to take a two-stroke lead in stroke-play qualifying for the U.S. Women's Mid-Amateur.
The 38-year-old Woodard, from Greer, S.C., birdied three of her first six holes.
Lucy Nunn of Lexington, Ky., had the only other sub-par round, shooting a 71. The 25-year-old Kentucky assistant coach regained her amateur status in June.
The top 64 after the second round will advance to match play in the event limited to players 25 and older.
Defending champion Ellen Port shot a 71. The 51-year-old Port, from St. Louis, won the U.S. Senior Women's Amateur last month.
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path