Woodard leads by 2 at U.S. Women's Mid-Amateur
- By Associated Press
- Oct 6, 2012 9:33 PM ET
SAN ANTONIO – Dawn Woodard shot a 3-under 69 on Saturday at Briggs Ranch to take a two-stroke lead in stroke-play qualifying for the U.S. Women's Mid-Amateur.
The 38-year-old Woodard, from Greer, S.C., birdied three of her first six holes.
Lucy Nunn of Lexington, Ky., had the only other sub-par round, shooting a 71. The 25-year-old Kentucky assistant coach regained her amateur status in June.
The top 64 after the second round will advance to match play in the event limited to players 25 and older.
Defending champion Ellen Port shot a 71. The 51-year-old Port, from St. Louis, won the U.S. Senior Women's Amateur last month.
Already well in front in the team competition, the USC Trojans are now on the verge of both team and individual NCAA titles entering the final round of competition at the University of Georgia Golf Co... Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Kuchar leads suspended Crowne | Glance | Scores
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- USC women sweep team, individual titles at NCAAs
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Sr. PGA lead | Scores
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots