Nike Golfs new VR Pro Combo irons hit the Tour
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Nov 29, 2010 5:21 PM ET
Hitting the retail market last week on Black Friday (Nov. 26), Nike Golf’s new VR Pro Combo irons already have many of its touring pro staff playing the progressive set of pocket-cavity, split-cavity and muscle-back forged clubs.
Currently, Steven Ames, Paul Casey, Stewart Cink, Richard Finch, Lucas Glover, Trevor Immelman, Pablo Martin, Francesco Molinari and Carl Petterson all have Nike’s latest creation in their bags.
As Rick Nichols, field manager for Nike Golf, explained to GolfChannel.com, they’ve done so because they feel they get the best of all worlds in their irons, wrapped up in a consistent look throughout the set that’s not normally found with different make-ups of clubs.
"The feedback from players about the VR Pro Combo series of irons has been very positive,” Nichols said. “They like the forged feel, the control of the new X3X groove pattern, and the fact that all three models look very similar in the playing position yet perform differently. This gives them more versatility when configuring their set makeup."
Nike’s new X3X grooves – the same grooves in their VR Pro irons – are set closer together and deeper on the face, with more grooves on the club than with previous models, in an effort to maximize flight control and shot-to-shot consistency, while conforming the new USGA and R&A rules regarding groove specification. The irons are forged from 1025 Forged Carbon Steel to a finish level, the company says, that eliminates most of the handwork and ensures consistency throughout the set.
Each set comes with a choice of True Temper Dynamic Gold (X100, S300, R300) or Precision Rifle Project X shafts, and custom options are also available.
The Nike Golf VR Pro Combo irons (3-PW) retail at $1,079.99.
As he gets set to make his first U.S. start of 2013, world No. 1 Rory McIlroy appeared in a new ad for equipment manufacturer Nike. Read More
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- SCORING: Bae leads Bradley | LPGA Mobile Bay
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bradley leads Nelson by 1 | At a glance
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Chella Choi leads Mobile; Nordqvist fires 61
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play