Pinnacle is best known for the distance golf balls it produces, and distance has long been what its customers like most about them. But in recent years, folks have also begun asking more and more for a Pinnacle product that also features softer feel – and at the same value price.
According to Michael Mahoney, director of golf ball product management for the Acushnet Co., which is Pinnacle’s parent, that prompted company engineers to begin working on new iteration. And the results are Pinnacle Gold and Pinnacle Gold Ribbon golf balls.
“We’ve done several things here to boost performance,” he says. “Start with the high velocity, soft compression cores in these. They are, in many ways, the culmination of the best things we did with previous Pinnacle models and allow us to enhance feel without sacrificing distance.
“We have also developed a softer, ionomer cover blend that enables us to further improve the short game performance of Pinnacle Gold without impeding the distance that it flies. Then, there is the new dimple design, with 332 spherical icosahedra dimples in seven different sizes to make the aerodynamics better so the ball goes longer even as playability around the greens and control are upgraded.
“It’s a very good golf ball in terms of feel,” Mahoney concludes. “Yet it continues to be very long.”
Acushnet is offering four basic options with the revamped Pinnacle ball, all of which boast identical performance attributes and are aligned with special causes. Pinnacle Gold, which comes in Bright White and High Optix Yellow, carries the logo of the Folds of Honor Foundation dedicated to providing assistance to dependents of families of fallen and disabled service members.
And Pinnacle Gold Ribbon, which features the pink ribbon logo of the Susan G. Komen Foundation that supports the fight against breast cancer, is available in Bright White and Clear, Pearlescent Pink.
Global Golf Post is the first weekly golf publication designed specifically for digital.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path