Titleist introduces groove-conforming wedges
- By David Allen
- Oct 26, 2009 3:14 PM ET
In response to the new restrictions being placed on the volume and edge sharpness of grooves, Titleist has come out with a conforming line of its popular Vokey Design Spin Milled wedges. The new wedges are named, appropriately enough, Vokey Design Spin Milled C-C wedges. The C-C stands for the “Condition of Competition” adopted by both the USGA and R&A, which prohibits PGA Tour and most Tour-level participants from playing the non-conforming irons and wedges after January 1, 2010.
Titleist will continue to manufacture and sell the previous generation non-conforming Vokey Design Spin Milled wedges through 2010. The C-C wedges, which will be available through authorized Titleist retailers beginning November 1, 2009, generate a higher launch, less spin and more run-out than the previous “bigger groove” wedges.
The new C-C wedges come in 17 different models (pitching and gap wedge, sand wedge and lob wedge) with multiple bounce options, sole grinds and lofts ranging from 48 to 64 degrees. They also feature Titleist’s advanced Spin Milled technology, which produces a higher face friction than a polished wedge face for additional spin.
“The newer groove standards will put more pressure on better players’ short games,” said Bob Vokey, master craftsman and senior product development manager for Titleist. “It will be crucial for them to determine the most effective combinations of loft, bounce and sole grinds in their wedge set-ups. There is less room for error when players do not have as much spin as they are accustomed, and they must be much more precise in their execution.”
Nine of the 17 C-C wedges will be available in left-handed models, while all come in a non-glare chrome finish engraved with the letters "C-C" on the hosel. The suggested retail price for each wedge is $125.
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Uihlein gets first pro win at Madeira | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae