Euro team honors Seve with golf bag emblem
- By Associated Press
- Sep 25, 2012 11:48 AM ET
MEDINAH, Ill. – The European team is honoring the memory of Seve Ballesteros by putting his iconic image on their golf bags.
This is the first Ryder Cup without Ballesteros, who died in May 2011. He is considered the most influential figure in giving Europe its edge in the matches. Longtime friend Jose Maria Olazabal is the European captain.
Olazabal revealed the tribute Tuesday during the team photo. The bags have a silhouette that depicts Ballesteros' reaction to winning the 1984 British Open at St. Andrews.
The Spanish captain says he felt the emblem on the bag would allow Ballesteros to be with the European team ''every step of the way.''
Ballesteros adopted the image as his business logo, and even had a tattoo of it on his left forearm.
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process