Euro team honors Seve with golf bag emblem
- By Associated Press
- Sep 25, 2012 11:48 AM ET
MEDINAH, Ill. – The European team is honoring the memory of Seve Ballesteros by putting his iconic image on their golf bags.
This is the first Ryder Cup without Ballesteros, who died in May 2011. He is considered the most influential figure in giving Europe its edge in the matches. Longtime friend Jose Maria Olazabal is the European captain.
Olazabal revealed the tribute Tuesday during the team photo. The bags have a silhouette that depicts Ballesteros' reaction to winning the 1984 British Open at St. Andrews.
The Spanish captain says he felt the emblem on the bag would allow Ballesteros to be with the European team ''every step of the way.''
Ballesteros adopted the image as his business logo, and even had a tattoo of it on his left forearm.
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Six flak: Lefty's Open runners-up | Posnanski
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- WWL: Nice guy finishes first | OWGR No. 3
- Grill Room: Jungle Bird banned, misses U.S. Open
- Merion in 2021? | Tricky, appreciated | Dramatic
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of Week
- Rose wins for late dad | Hogan would've been proud
- U.S. Open: Articles, videos, pics | Coverage | Social
- Instruction: Play smart and patient like Rose