Woods denies he and Como are splitting

RSS

GAINESVILLE, Va. – Tiger Woods’ swing consultant Chris Como has not been with his star pupil this week at the Quicken Loans National, leading some to speculate about the duo’s future.

Numerous sources have suggested that Woods has split with Como, who teamed with the former world No. 1 last November, but Woods’ manager Mark Steinberg told GolfChannel.com via email that it was the “first I have heard of it.”

Notah Begay, who introduced Woods to Como, also said that he had not heard of any split between the two and that he had dinner with Como earlier this week in Texas.

After Woods' round, a 3-under 68, Woods said he and Como were still working together. Steinberg confirmed that the partnership continues. Como was even scheduled to arrive at the Quicken Loans National on Friday to continue his work with Woods.

Como did not return a call requesting comment.

Woods has struggled since teaming with Como, missing three cuts (including the Open Championship). His best finish in eight PGA Tour starts with the biomechanics student was a tie for 17th place at the Masters.

Como has been with Woods at Tour events throughout his tenure, including earlier this month at St. Andrews, but has been missing this week at Robert Trent Jones Golf Club.

On Tuesday, Woods told the media that he hadn’t expected his current swing change to take so long to produce results.

“I came off back surgery, changed my golf swing and have done a polar 180 and recovering from back surgery,” said Woods, who has dropped to 266th in the World Ranking. “You add those two together it’s a perfect storm, and I’ve had to fight through both of those at the same time.”