Woods announced last week that he would be taking a break from the game, but left open the possibility that he might play the first stop of the Florida Swing at PGA National. While Woods had until Friday to enter, his agent reached out to tournament officials on Thursday to confirm that Woods will miss the event.
"I got a call this afternoon from Mark Steinberg on behalf of Tiger," tournament director Ken Kennerly said in a statement. "He wanted to let us know that Tiger is not going to play in the Honda Classic. He has been working on his game this week and feels as though he is not tournament ready to play next week."
Woods makes his home in nearby Jupiter, and he has played the event each of the last three years. He was a runner-up in 2012, but last year he withdrew during the final round because of back pain, a harbinger of what was to come as the 39-year-old battled injury throughout 2014.
He missed the cut last month at the Waste Management Phoenix Open and last teed it up at the Farmers Insurance Open. There he withdrew after 11 holes of his opening round because of a back injury, one that he said was "not related" to the injury for which he had microdiscectomy surgery last March.
In his Feb. 11 statement, Woods said he is "committed to getting back to the pinnacle of my game" and added that he expects to "be playing again very soon."
The news means that Woods, currently No. 66 in the world, will remain outside the OWGR top 50 and will not qualify for the WGC-Cadillac Championship at Trump National Doral. His next anticipated start based on previous years would be the Arnold Palmer Invitational, held March 26-29 at Bay Hill, though no firm timetable exists for his return to competition.