THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Tuesday’s pro-am tee sheet at the Chevron World Challenge is filled with more than a few household names, none of whom, however, are actually playing in the limited-field gathering.
Included in Tuesday’s lineup was Erik Compton, who earned his first trip to the PGA Tour this year via the Nationwide Tour, and Rich Beem, the former PGA Championship winner who is scheduled to tee off at 10:03 a.m. (PT) on Wednesday at Q-School in Palm Springs, Calif.
“It’s a nice distraction over what is about to happen,” said Beem, who finished 207th on this year’s money list. “Guys over (at Q-School) get caught up in beating golf ball after golf ball, it’s nice to get away from that.”
For Compton, the pro-am was his first competitive round since the Nationwide Tour Championship in October.
“I just wanted to come out and see how I played,” said Compton as he hit balls on the Sherwood practice tee and waited for his redeye flight back to Florida late Tuesday. “I kind of felt like I needed something after being off for so long.”
Catch live coverage of the Chevron World Challenge on Golf Channel and NBC: Thursday and Friday – 2:30PM ET on Golf Channel; Saturday and Sunday – 12:30PM ET on Golf Channel, 3PM ET on NBC.
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process