Creamer, McCord to clash in 'Battle of the Sexes'
- By Will Gray
- Oct 5, 2012 11:49 AM ET
A concept first introduced on the tennis court four decades ago will be rekindled this weekend on the golf course when Paula Creamer takes on golf commentator Gary McCord in the Forsgate "Battle of the Sexes."
Mirroring the format used for the famous 1973 tennis match between Bobby Riggs and Billie Jean King, the players will compete in an 18-hole stroke-play match using the same tees.
Both participants have managed to maintain their sense of humor entering the exhibition, which will take place Oct. 7 on the Banks Course at Forsgate Country Club in Monroe, N.J., and will be hosted by Golf Channel personality David Feherty.
"Beating Paula will be fun and another win in my already memorable career," boasted McCord, who never won in 422 PGA Tour appearances but did claim a pair of Champions Tour titles in 1999.
"I'm playing against Gary McCord? You mean the CBS golf commentator? I didn't even realize he played golf," quipped Creamer, the 2010 U.S. Women's Open champion.
With no shortage of personality between the pair, Creamer and McCord will play for a purse of $10,000. The event will be open to the public on Sunday, with proceeds benefiting the Forsgate Foundation and Make-A-Wish New Jersey.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path