Ernie Els, who tied for 39th last week in Abu Dhabi and was 18th in his ’13 debut at the Volvo Golf Champions, begins the new season with a new caddie as his normal looper continues to undergo treatment for what doctors believe are blood clots.
Colin Byrne, a veteran looper who has worked for many top players including Retief Goosen, has stepped in for the South African’s normal caddie Ricci Roberts, who flew to England following last year’s BMW Championship to receive treatment for the leg ailment.
Byrne first worked for the South African at November’s WGC-HSBC Champions and said he is scheduled to be on the bag through March. Els is playing this week’s Qatar Masters and plans to make his PGA Tour debut at the Northern Trust Open in two weeks.
- SCORING: Bradley holding lead | Mobile Bay LPGA
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Palmer, Nicklaus release statements on Venturi
- Colsaerts loses at Volvo after bizarre drop | Results
- Bradley keeps Nelson lead | Rd. 2 at a glance
- Korda leads Mobile Bay LPGA through 36
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Video: Man drains amazing office putt down stairs
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process