Ernie Els, who tied for 39th last week in Abu Dhabi and was 18th in his ’13 debut at the Volvo Golf Champions, begins the new season with a new caddie as his normal looper continues to undergo treatment for what doctors believe are blood clots.
Colin Byrne, a veteran looper who has worked for many top players including Retief Goosen, has stepped in for the South African’s normal caddie Ricci Roberts, who flew to England following last year’s BMW Championship to receive treatment for the leg ailment.
Byrne first worked for the South African at November’s WGC-HSBC Champions and said he is scheduled to be on the bag through March. Els is playing this week’s Qatar Masters and plans to make his PGA Tour debut at the Northern Trust Open in two weeks.
- LPGA SCORING: Johnson wins first LPGA title
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play