Golf Channel Am Tour National Championships 2012
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Sep 12, 2012 10:20 PM ET
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – A record turnout has descended upon the PGA Tour's home for the 2012 Golf Channel Am Tour National Championships.
Over the course of four rounds, The Players Stadium Course and neighboring Dye’s Valley Course at TPC Sawgrass and Ponte Vedra Inn and Club’s Lagoon and Ocean Courses welcomed more than 1,100 expected participants for the concluding event on the Golf Channel Am Tour season. The Golf Channel Am Tour National Championships were broken up into two tournaments: the Senior National Championships (ages 50 and over), Sept. 4-7, and the traditional National Championships (below age 50), Sept. 10-13.
Check back here for all the latest news during the event.
• Day 4: Beach captures Championship flight: Brian Beach moved from Montana to California to hone his golf game. It appears to have been a good move.
• Day 4: Healy wins Palmer flight: Mike Healy almost withdrew from the Am Tour Championships. Good thing he didn't.
• Day 4: Connor captures Hogan flight: Three years after finishing dead last in the Hogan flight, Jason Connor was a winner by two shots.
• Day 4: Ambrosio captures Sarazen flight: Ken Ambrosio has had better finishes, but he withstood the final-round pressure to take a one-stroke win.
• Day 4: Island-green 17th key as Nault wins Snead flight: Paul Nault was seven shots behind Scott Fjeldstad with five holes to go, but staged a rally, including a birdie at No. 17.
• Day 4: Kelley wins Jones flight in playoff: Rich Kelley defeated Rick Ramsey with a par on the first playoff hole.
• Day 3: Former MLB pitcher loving life on the Am Tour: Once a competitor, always a competitor. That's the way guys like former Major League Baseball pitcher Mark Mulder are wired.
• Day 3: Players closing in on National crown: Make no mistake: For the players contending at this week's Golf Channel Am Tour Championships, the stakes are high. For many of them, it's a rare opportunity to realize a dream.
• Day 2: Par-3 17th a little devil: For many golfers it's the most difficult short shot they'll ever hit, simply because of the intimidation factor.
• Day2: Albatross, eagle lift Embry: Ted Embry recorded both an double eagle and an eagle to vault into contention in the Championship Flight of the Golf Channel's Am Tour National Championship.
• Day 1: Ball envy: Bridgestone has been analyzing Am Tour golfers' swings for over a week now and report their results thus far.
• Day 1: Couples affair: Many of the players here at the Golf Channel Am Tour Championships are making a week of it in the Jacksonville area, but Kathy Provazek and Jeff Ross are doubling their pleasure.
• Nationals preview: Big Break stars provide their pressure wisdom: On the eve of the Golf Channel Am Tour National Championships, Big Break competitors welcomed competitors and offered their advice on dealing with pressure.
• Dyer on 'Morning Drive': Ed Dyer, winner of the Hogan Flight in the Golf Channel Am Tour Senior National Championship joined Gary and the team.
• Senior results: True Statement: Jeff True won four majors in 2012 and capped it off with a clutch, 10-footer for the Nationals crown.
• Senior results: Indiana Eyes Smiling: Indiana residents Ed Dyer and Randy Snodgrass finished one-two in the competitive Hogan flight.
• Senior results: Going Low: Who says the finishing holes on the Stadium Course are tough? Mark Palmer birdied four of the last six holes to win the Championship flight.
• Day 4: Now it gets interesting: With the help of an ace, Charles Voss finds himself in the lead, while other flights have their story lines heading into the final day.
• Day 4: One competitive couple: There aren't many couples who both play competitive golf. Lynn and Lu Cormier, from Sugarland, are the exception.
• Day 3: Ace in the hole! David Wachnish, records the week's first ace at Ponte Vedra Inn's Lagoons Course.
• Day 3: Sink or swim on 17: After two days, the 17th hole has seen scores ranging between 2 and 32.
• Day 2: The Better Half: While competitors took to the golf course on Day one, many of their wives and girlfriends got the royal treatment.
• Day 2: Aloha, Sawgrass: Six competitors at this week's Senior National Championship made the long trip to Ponte Vedra Beach from Hawaii to compete this week.
• Day 1: Let the games begin! On the eve of the largest ever Am Tour Senior National Championship, David Feherty had some not-so-inspirational words for Am Tour competitors. Also, three competitors have a unique advantage this week when the stakes are high.
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Kuchar leads suspended Crowne | Glance | Scores
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- USC women sweep team, individual titles at NCAAs
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Sr. PGA lead | Scores
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots