Doug Brecht honored at CME Group Titleholders
- By Randall Mell
- Nov 16, 2012 2:29 PM ET
NAPLES, Fla. – LPGA pros honored the memory of rules official Doug Brecht as they walked to the 17th green Friday at the CME Group Titleholders.
Brecht, a rules official on tour for 22 years, died last month. He had battled the West Nile Virus for three months.
Brecht’s red golf cart was stationed at the 17th hole at TwinEagles Club and will be there again for Saturday’s round. Players stopped and signed a placard on the front of the cart as they made their way to the green.
“We wrote little messages,” said Lexi Thompson. “It was very cool to see they did that. He definitely will be missed.”
The cart and placard will be presented to Brecht’s family.
Stacy Lewis is No. 3 in the world – and No. 1 in Alabama. Lewis shot a 7-under 65 on Saturday to take a two-stroke lead over Angela Stanford in the Navistar LPGA Classic, while second-round leader Le... Read More
Defending champion Lexi Thompson shot a 3-under 69 on Friday to take a one-stroke lead into weekend play in the Navistar LPGA Classic. Read More
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Karlsson puts yips behind, qualifies for British Open
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae