Mahan opens with win over Manassero in title defense
- By Ryan Lavner
- Feb 21, 2013 10:46 PM ET
A few hours later, his road back to the finals looked a little bit easier.
In the Round of 32 Mahan will face Sterne, a winner less than two weeks ago at the Joburg Open. They played each other in 2008, with Mahan prevailing, 4 and 3, in the opening round.
“You have to catch the match on the right day because you’re not going to play great every single day,” Mahan said. “You have to get lucky in these things. But I think you just have to have a good, strong mental outlook on things and realize this is a tournament – you don’t need to fix anything, you just need to keep playing and try to keep winning and grinding out.”
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGA of America | USGA
- Manufacturer on anchor ban: 'Golf lost today'
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Euro captain McGinley adds third Ryder Cup pick
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae