Mahan opens with win over Manassero in title defense
- By Ryan Lavner
- Feb 21, 2013 10:46 PM ET
A few hours later, his road back to the finals looked a little bit easier.
In the Round of 32 Mahan will face Sterne, a winner less than two weeks ago at the Joburg Open. They played each other in 2008, with Mahan prevailing, 4 and 3, in the opening round.
“You have to catch the match on the right day because you’re not going to play great every single day,” Mahan said. “You have to get lucky in these things. But I think you just have to have a good, strong mental outlook on things and realize this is a tournament – you don’t need to fix anything, you just need to keep playing and try to keep winning and grinding out.”
- LIVE STREAM: Crowne Plaza Invit., Round 1
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Anchoring attorney: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Back-nine 41 dooms McIlroy's BMW PGA opener
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Instruction: Tips to strike your putts more solidly