CHARLOTTE, N.C. – It was good while it lasted. D.A. Points’ bogey-free streak, that is.
Points strung together 40 consecutive holes without a bogey in the third and fourth rounds at Quail Hollow and looked like he had the Wells Fargo Championship in the bag standing on the 18th tee Sunday evening.
With one hole to play, Points held a one-shot lead over Rickie Fowler – who was in the clubhouse at 14 under – and playing partner Rory McIlroy.
Points went on to bogey the 18th, break his streak and eventually lost to Fowler on the first extra hole.
“I played really well,” Points said. “I went, like, 40 holes without a bogey, so obviously I was doing a lot right.”
As disappointed as he was that he couldn’t seal the deal, Points had nothing but glowing words for Fowler.
“It’s wonderful for the game of golf,” Points said. “I’m so happy for Rickie. He is honest to goodness a good kid … he deserves all the pub and he certainly deserves the win.”
Tags: DA Points
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path