CHARLOTTE, N.C. – It was good while it lasted. D.A. Points’ bogey-free streak, that is.
Points strung together 40 consecutive holes without a bogey in the third and fourth rounds at Quail Hollow and looked like he had the Wells Fargo Championship in the bag standing on the 18th tee Sunday evening.
With one hole to play, Points held a one-shot lead over Rickie Fowler – who was in the clubhouse at 14 under – and playing partner Rory McIlroy.
Points went on to bogey the 18th, break his streak and eventually lost to Fowler on the first extra hole.
“I played really well,” Points said. “I went, like, 40 holes without a bogey, so obviously I was doing a lot right.”
As disappointed as he was that he couldn’t seal the deal, Points had nothing but glowing words for Fowler.
“It’s wonderful for the game of golf,” Points said. “I’m so happy for Rickie. He is honest to goodness a good kid … he deserves all the pub and he certainly deserves the win.”
Tags: DA Points
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process