One point is awarded for each $1,000 earned in regular PGA Tour events. Two points are awarded for every $1,000 earned at a major championship. The top eight players in the standings after the PGA Championship automatically qualify for the American team heading to Medinah from Sept. 28-30.
Last month at Pebble Beach, Love III said he did not expect Woods to have trouble making the team.
"So I think if (Tiger) has a full, healthy season, we won't be worrying about picking him. But it's nice with four picks, I got a lot of flexibility,” he said.
The captain had previously indicated Woods was a virtual lock to make the team, either on merit or with one of the four captain’s picks.
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth