Even swimming, of all sports, has trash talking.
Milorad Cavic took a few freestyle swipes at Michael Phelps and, predictably, got smashed in the 100m butterfly final at the FINA World Championships in Rome this weekend. It’s what happens when you poke the bear.
Point is, we wouldn’t mind a little lively banter to give golf a mid-summer spark. Nothing too heated, just a few subtle jabs to give those of us who carry notebooks for a living something to live for.
A few thoughts:
• Like Cavic’s swipe at Phelps’ decision not to wear swimming’s soon-to-be-outlawed sci-fi body suit, Phil Mickelson could say something about Tiger Woods’ inferior equipment . . .
• Stephen Ames might suggest that considering where Woods is hitting the ball, anything could happen in 18 holes of match play . . .
• Sandy Lyle could call Colin Montgomerie a cheat . . .
• Ian Poulter could opine that the hierarchy of golf reads as follows: Woods, Poulter, everyone else . . .
. . . on second thought, maybe golf has all the trash talking it needs.
- SCORING: Bradley holding lead | Mobile Bay LPGA
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Palmer, Nicklaus release statements on Venturi
- Bradley keeps Nelson lead | Rd. 2 at a glance
- Korda leads Mobile Bay through 36 | Scores
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Video: Man drains amazing office putt down stairs
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process