Wiesberger grabs Portugal lead, seeks third title of 2012
- By Will Gray
- Oct 13, 2012 1:12 PM ET
Seeking his third European Tour title of 2012, Bernd Wiesberger posted a 6-under 65 Saturday at the Portugal Masters to take the lead from Ross Fisher as the pair began to distance themselves from the field.
A winner earlier this season at the Ballantine's Championship in South Korea as well as the Lyoness Open in Austria, Wiesberger shot 65 for the second consecutive day. His round was highlighted by six birdies in a 7-hole stretch from holes 8-14, and the Austrian has now made just one bogey in his last 38 holes at the Oceanico Victoria Golf Course.
"After seven holes I was not thinking about a 65," explained Wiesberger. "I had some horrible wedges early on but I grinded through that and hit better shots around the turn and into the back nine."
Looking for his first win in more than two years, Fisher held at least a share of the lead for the entire third round before a bogey on the 18th hole. His 2-under 69 puts him one shot behind Wiesberger entering Sunday but three shots ahead of a trio of golfers sharing third place, including former U.S. Open champion Michael Campbell, in search of his first top-10 finish on the European Tour since 2008.
The low round of the day went to Australian Andrew Dodt, who fired a 7-under 64 Saturday. The 26-year-old used his bogey-free round to move 43 spots up the leaderboard, and will begin the final round tied for eighth.
The man who saved Tiger Woods from disqualification at the Masters? It was reportedly Champions Tour player David Eger. Read More
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Guan WDs from Open qualifying | Playing Memorial
- Euro captain McGinley adds third Ryder Cup pick
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth