CARMEL, Ind. – Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy have thrilled the Hoosier gallery after the opening nine holes Thursday at the BMW Championship.
The two are grouped with Nick Watney at Crooked Stick in the battle of the top-three ranked players in the FedEx Cup standings.
Woods made birdie on the first two holes (he began on No. 10), and again on Nos. 13, 15 and 16 to make the turn at 4-under 32. He made bogey on the par-4 14th hole when his approach found the rough just outside a greenside bunker and failed to get up and down.
McIlroy made three birdies an eagle and a bogey to turn at 4-under 32.
They are both tied for third place. Ian Poulter and Bo Van Pelt are tied for the lead at 5 under par.
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play