CARMEL, Ind. – Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy have thrilled the Hoosier gallery after the opening nine holes Thursday at the BMW Championship.
The two are grouped with Nick Watney at Crooked Stick in the battle of the top-three ranked players in the FedEx Cup standings.
Woods made birdie on the first two holes (he began on No. 10), and again on Nos. 13, 15 and 16 to make the turn at 4-under 32. He made bogey on the par-4 14th hole when his approach found the rough just outside a greenside bunker and failed to get up and down.
McIlroy made three birdies an eagle and a bogey to turn at 4-under 32.
They are both tied for third place. Ian Poulter and Bo Van Pelt are tied for the lead at 5 under par.
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management
- Instruction: Tips to strike your putts more solidly