CARMEL, Ind. – Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy have thrilled the Hoosier gallery after the opening nine holes Thursday at the BMW Championship.
The two are grouped with Nick Watney at Crooked Stick in the battle of the top-three ranked players in the FedEx Cup standings.
Woods made birdie on the first two holes (he began on No. 10), and again on Nos. 13, 15 and 16 to make the turn at 4-under 32. He made bogey on the par-4 14th hole when his approach found the rough just outside a greenside bunker and failed to get up and down.
McIlroy made three birdies an eagle and a bogey to turn at 4-under 32.
They are both tied for third place. Ian Poulter and Bo Van Pelt are tied for the lead at 5 under par.
- Kuchar leads suspended Crowne | Glance | Scores
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- USC women sweep team, individual titles at NCAAs
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Sr. PGA lead | Scores
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots