You Oughta Know: Deere, Scottish Open and U.S. Sr. Open
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Jul 14, 2012 8:19 PM ET
From Steve Stricker trying to notch his fourth straight win, to Phil Mickelson getting hot in Scotland,to Bernhard Langer in complete control at the U.S. Senior Open, here's what You Oughta Know for Sunday's final rounds:
Steve Stricker trails Troy Matteson by three shots heading into the final round of the John Deere Classic. Stricker is 15 under par but hasn't had a low round yet at TPC Deere Run. In each of his three consecutive victories, Stricker has had at least one round below 64.
Matteson is looking for his third PGA Tour win, but his first not to come in the Frys.com Open. While this is a different event, the name of the game is the same: go low. In his two Frys wins, he averaged a winning score of 20 under par. He is 19 under through 54 holes.
Phil Mickelson trails Francesco Molinari by three shots entering the final round of the Aberdeen Asset Management Scottish Open as Castle Stuart. He shot 65 on Saturday to reach 14 under for the tournament.
In his last two rounds, Mickelson is 15 under. During the eight-round skid where he could not break par, Mickelson was 26 over.
Molinari is looking for his second European Tour win of the year and, potentially, a spot on the Ryder Cup team with a victory. It would be his fourth title on the circuit and mark the first season the 29-year-old has won multiple times.
Bernhard Langer shot 6-under 64 at Indianwood G&CC on Saturday to take a four-shot lead into the final round of the U.S. Senior Open.
A win on Sunday would give Longer two Senior Opens in three years, outlasting Fred Couples at Sahalee in 2010.
And guess who lurks in five back in a tie for seventh place? Couples.
Webb Simpson isn’t a big fan of the impending anchoring ban. In fact, you could say he hates it. Read More
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman set to defend at Senior PGA | Tee times
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management