In an article for GolfChannel.com, Feinstein wrote about Oregon Men’s Golf Coach Casey Martin and his experiences at Q-School. Martin said that he would advise players in Q-School to simply look at the final stage as just another tournament because otherwise, the pressure will get to you and take over your game when you need it the most. Martin knows what it is like to have control of your game for 100 holes and then buckling over the last 8 holes to lose out on earning a PGA TOUR card in the Final Stage.
Martin has always said that he does not want to be remembered as the guy in the cart who won his case against the PGA TOUR before the Supreme Court. Feinstein feels that Martin is much more than just the guy in the cart and that his legacy will be as a man who overcame physical disability and the PGA TOUR to at least try to succeed at the highest level of professional golf on the PGA TOUR.
Tommy Gainey went from The Big Break on Golf Channel to winning on the PGA TOUR by shooting 60 in the final round of The McGladrey Classic. Gainey won a tournament that featured a field with Major Champions like Davis Love III, Jim Furyk, and David Toms. Feinstein said that he loves these kinds of stories because they involve players who rise from the bottom to the top through hard work and through setbacks on that road.
There have been so many great comeback stories in the world of golf in 2012 and if you exclude the Ryder Cup and the Major Championships, Gainey’s 7 stroke comeback to win The McGladrey Classic has to rank among the best because of Gainey’s individual story and because he shot 60 to win.
The changes to the PGA TOUR qualification process next year will put more pressure on players in the beginning of the 2013 season because it will be a shorter season with the removal of the Fall Series and the fact that the 2013-2014 season will begin in October. You will see a lot of players trying to get off to strong starts on the West Coast and you will also see the pressure on the PGA TOUR start to build around July instead of September or October as it has over the past several years.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Garcia apologizes to Woods; comment 'stupid'
- Tiger: Sergio remark 'hurtful, inappropriate'
- Garcia makes 'fried chicken' Tiger remark
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia's comments | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Fowler, Mahan to donate to tornado relief efforts
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management
- Simpson wants bifurcation | Clark's take