Helped by a win in the Sony Open and two other top 10s, Johnson Wagner won the AVIS Player of the Month for January. He is defending a title for the second time in his career in the Mayakoba Golf Classic this week and one of the big differences from last year is having his face plastered on billboards all over Mexico and he is also being recognized more often. It is about a 50/50 split between new and old billboards so some of them have his mustache and others do not.
Last year, he and his caddie spent a lot of time going to local establishments and trying the local food which he enjoys doing whenever he is travelling. His caddie speaks Spanish well and that helped them find some really good places to eat.
Entering this week, he has a lot of confidence thanks to his start in January and he knows that a lot of players in the field are under a lot of pressure because they are trying to end up on the positive side of the PGA TOUR reshuffle and it is nice not to be under that pressure this year.
Crown Sports Management, which represents Wagner, has a Wall of Fame and thanks to his win in the Sony Open, all of the pictures of their clients have mustaches and they did a wonderful job in creating a very funny video displaying the wall of clients.
He is not going to fill out a bracket for the WGC-Accenture Match Play but when he gets a chance he will watch the coverage and keep tabs on how everyone is playing. While he is happy to be defending this week, he is a bit upset that he did not make the field for the Match Play. He felt that he put too much pressure on himself to play his way into the field in the Waste Management Phoenix Open and as a result he did not play well enough to get into the field in Arizona.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Bradley keeps Nelson lead | At a glance | Scores
- Korda leads Mobile Bay LPGA through 36 | Scores
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Guan shoots 70-77, misses first PGA Tour cut
- Poulter out at Volvo | 'Disgusted' with play | Results
- Video: Man drains amazing office putt down stairs
- Donald receives MBE from Queen of England
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process