After benign conditions in the first round, heavy rains fell overnight on Royal Lytham & St. Annes and as a result the ground is very, very soft and some bunkers have water in them. The grounds crew was unable to empty the water from all of the bunkers and we have already seen some players have to take relief from the water while inside of the bunker.
If you hit a patron with an errant shot, a player tends to introduce themselves to the person and gives them a golf ball or a golf glove. Rory McIlroy gave the patron that he hit on the head with an errant tee shot a signed glove but when Rory found out that the young man was staying in a tent with his brother, he found them and put them up in a hotel room for the rest of the week plus gave them some spending money. Rory definitely went above and beyond to help out.
Luke Donald’s caddie is taking the day off on Friday as the caddie’s wife is giving birth to the couple’s child today. Birth is being induced on schedule so that John McLaren can be Donald’s caddie this weekend but Robert Karlsson’s caddie is carrying Luke’s bag today. The only reason that this is possible is because Karlsson withdrew earlier this week.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play