Ted Bishop was elected the 38th President of The PGA of America and succeeds outgoing President Allen Wronowski. When asked about his plans for the near future, Bishop said that he is planning to introduce his new team of executives to the PGA of America staff, work to select a 2014 U.S. Ryder Cup Captain, and promote initiatives like Golf 2.0.
Larry Nelson is a great person whose career and story in the game of golf is compelling and stellar. He is a 3-time Major Champion with a great Ryder Cup record so he is certainly under consideration although there are many factors involved in selecting a Captain. The 2014 Ryder Cup is very important because the U.S. wants to win the Ryder Cup back and the U.S. has not won the Ryder Cup on European soil since 1993 at The Belfry.
It can be easily argued that no one did a better job as U.S. Captain than Davis Love III and he is a contemporary of the team members. While arguments can be made for bringing in an older captain to shake things up, being a contemporary of your potential team members in very important while adding the Nelson’s candidacy has reduced the perceived importance of being a contemporary because in the past, a player of Nelson’s age would not be considered.
The U.S. Ryder Cup team members play a number of big events in a short period prior to the Ryder Cup and while it may be a positive for the U.S. when the Ryder Cup is in the United States, it may be a negative when it is held in Europe because travelling overseas after a number of big events does take a toll. If the PGA of America had one wish, it would be that there could be one week off between the end of the FedExCup Playoffs and the Ryder Cup.
Traditionally, the PGA of America tends to pick Ryder Cup sites 5 or 6 years before the event will be held and it is certainly possible that a future Ryder Cup site will be selected during his term as President as well as future sites for the PGA Championship.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Bradley keeps Nelson lead | At a glance | Scores
- Korda leads Mobile Bay LPGA through 36 | Scores
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Guan shoots 70-77, misses first PGA Tour cut
- Poulter out at Volvo | 'Disgusted' with play | Results
- Video: Man drains amazing office putt down stairs
- Donald receives MBE from Queen of England
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process