Fairways and greens; it’s a good player’s mantra. Players who hit a lot of fairways and greens hit the ball fairly straight. And to do that, you have to understand the two circles, the one that the shaft makes and the one that the toe of the club makes:
• Big Circle: The shaft has to move in a tilted circle. A plane board or PVC piping circle should be used to get the shaft moving on the correct plane. It’s also important that the hips and shoulders are moving properly in the swing.
• Little Circle: Use a hockey stick to teach getting the face square. Having the toe of the club, or hockey stick, in the air at 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock gives you the best chance. The big secret is learning to do this without changing your grip pressure. Take an empty water bottle and take practice swings without squashing the plastic.
Martin’s Library: “Play Golf the Wright Way” by Mickey Wright
Many golf experts believe that Mickey Wright had one of the greatest golf swings in the history of the game. She shared some of her secrets in “Play Golf the Wright Way” and in this video segment Martin further explores four of her key ideas. Watch Video
• Think about the two circles.
• Keep your radius, not your triangle.
Next week’s show: Chapter 25: Getting Up and Down, Wednesday 7PM ET
• School of Golf host Martin Hall will reveal the “Filthy Five” of the short game and teach you how to eliminate them. Hall will also induct Seve Ballesteros into the Martin Hall of Fame and share four drills that made him one of the all-time greats around the greens. Holly Sonders will help answer viewer questions and assist with the instruction.For more School of Golf content visit the showpage.
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" comment
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth