Weekly Fix: Finding the center of the face consistently
- By Tim Cooke, SwingFix Instructor
- Feb 12, 2013 12:00 PM ET
Welcome back to Weekly Fix! I’m Tim Cooke and each week on GolfChannel.com we’ll be taking a closer look at your swings in hopes of helping you play your best in 2013.
This week, we’re going to take a look at Nick’s golf swing, and there are quite a few things about Nick’s swing that I like and you can learn from.
There are also some things that Nick can do that will help his game, especially as it relates to striking the ball in the center of the clubface more often, which is so important when it comes to both distance and accuracy.
Anyway, we’ll discuss all of those things in this week’s video analysis, and hopefully Nick will start hitting more good shots and you’ll learn a few things about the golf swing as well.
As a summary, the tips I would suggest that everyone take away from this week’s analysis would include the following:
• Something we’ve discussed previously but that’s always worth remembering is that in your takeaway we would like to see the clubhead stay outside of the hands, something that gives you a great chance to stay on plane in the backswing.
• You should always try to learn from your ball flight and it’s important to know that shots hit off the heel will tend to fade and shots hit off the toe will tend to hook. So check to see where you’re hitting the ball on the clubface when you practice.
• A preferred path on the downswing and through the shot would be slightly from the inside, then square at impact and then back to the inside. If you have the club too far behind you, or stuck, coming down, it will be difficult to work the club back to the inside after impact.
Well, that’s it for this week’s edition of Weekly Fix. Keep sending us those videos at WeeklyFix@GolfChannel.com, and we’ll be back with a brand new edition next week right here at GolfChannel.com.
Tim Cooke is the Director of Instruction at Long Cove Club in Hilton Head Island, S.C., and one of Golf Digest's top young instructors.
- LIVE STREAM: Pure Silk-Bahamas LPGA Classic
- SCORING: Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA Bahamas
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Overton DQ'd for using putting aid | Clark in mix
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Colonial's Rd. 2 concludes with Kuchar on top
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Senior PGA lead
- Pettersen trails Bowie Young at Bahamas LPGA
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots