Sergio starts hot at Northern Trust Open with 65
- By Randall Mell
- Feb 14, 2013 9:38 PM ET
Garcia, making a run on the leaderboard, was asked facetiously what he did to cause the weather to change.
“Must have been my fault,” Garcia good-naturedly cracked.
Garcia, who has wondered aloud if the golf gods are sometimes against him, wasn’t fazed. He birdied two of the final three holes to close out a 6-under 65 to move a shot off the lead behind Matt Kuchar. Garcia opened hot with three consecutive birdies.
Garcia closed with a 64 here last year, tying for fourth, his best finish at the Northern Trust Open in seven previous starts. He’s looking for his ninth PGA Tour title.
“Very happy with it, my first tournament in the U.S. this year,” Garcia said. “I managed to hit some nice chips and some nice putts. Very pleased.”
Garcia hit just 12 greens in regulation but scrambled well when he needed to do so. He took just 25 putts.
- LIVE STREAM: Watch Bradley at Byron Nelson
- SCORING: Nelson Day 3 | Volvo: G-Mac in semis
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Palmer, Nicklaus release statements on Venturi
- Bradley keeps Nelson lead | Rd. 2 at a glance
- Korda leads Mobile Bay through 36 | Scores
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Video: Man drains amazing office putt down stairs
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process