Home away from home: Players suits Garcia's game
- By Ryan Ballengee
- May 9, 2012 3:44 PM ET
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – The Stadium Course at TPC Sawgrass feels like home for Sergio Garcia.
"The first time I came here in 2000, I saw the course and said this is the kind of course I like to play," Garcia said Tuesday. "It's kind of like Valderrama (in Spain). It's a course I've always felt comfortable on, always liked."
Garcia won at the Spanish course last October as part of consecutive wins on the European Tour. He hopes to win The Players Championship for a second time this week, building on an impressive track record.
At a place where many feel uncomfortable, the Spaniard thrives because he feels capable of executing almost every shot required to succeed at Pete Dye's masterpiece.
"It's the kind of course where you have to work the ball," he said. "It tests pretty much every part of your game. I know the shot I want to hit on pretty much every hole."
Tags: Sergio Garcia
Having sponsored Sergio Garcia since 2002, TaylorMade Golf released an official statement Wednesday in light of the Spaniard's controversial comments. Read More
- Garcia apologizes to Woods | Tee times
- Tiger: Sergio remark 'hurtful, inappropriate'
- Garcia makes 'fried chicken' Tiger remark
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Fowler, Mahan to donate to tornado relief efforts
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management
- Simpson wants bifurcation | Clark's take