Monty vows to stay out of Ollie's way at Medinah
- By Ryan Lavner
- Sep 13, 2012 10:06 AM ET
In fact, Montgomerie told European journalist Bernie McGuire that, as the most recent former captain, he’s been invited to three private functions at the Ryder Cup (Opening Ceremony, Gala Dinner, Closing Ceremony). The Scot has declined each one, for various reasons.
“I’ve been invited to all three events, but then I am commentating for Sky (Sports) on the Opening Ceremony, so I can’t be in two places at one time,” Montgomerie said, according to the report. “I’m afraid I will leave the Gala Dinner to the teams as I don’t want to be part of that. Again, the Closing Ceremony I will be commentating, so I have politely declined all three.
“That’s not my role, and I don’t want to get in the way of Ollie as it’s his week, as it is for Davis (Love III). So it’s not a week for former captains.”
The report also mentioned that only three players – Francesco Molinari, Nicolas Colsaerts and Paul Lawrie – will join Olazabal on the flight from London to Chicago on Sept. 24. The rest of the team either has a home base in the U.S. or will already be in the States.
Montgomerie later withdrew from this week’s BMW Italian Open, reportedly with a torn calf muscle.
Tags: Colin Montgomerie
From the drama between Tiger Woods and Sergio Garcia at The Players Championship to the induction of Fred Couples and Colin Montgomerie into the World Golf Hall of Fame, enjoy this week's edition of Q... Read More
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path