O'Meara, Love defer to sons at Father/Son Chall.
- By Rex Hoggard
- Dec 15, 2012 6:05 PM ET
ORLANDO, Fla. – The key to success at the PNC Father/Son Challenge, at least for the combo of Mark and Shaun O’Meara, is a healthy understanding of the obvious.
The older O’Meara, for example, is six years removed from his last full season on the PGA Tour and admittedly no longer has the pop off the tee that he used to have. Enter Shaun, a recent graduate from the University of California-Irvine, where he was a member of the school’s golf team.
When asked by reporters, after the two combined to shoot 11 under on Saturday at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club, if he felt any pressure on the first tee early Saturday, the older O’Meara didn’t hesitate, “Not quite as much as normal with the way he drives the ball.”
The younger O’Meara was so prolific on Day 1 that on the 11th tee, following another booming drive, Dad didn’t even bother teeing off. “Told (playing partner Bernhard Langer) to go ahead. I didn’t need to hit. No use.”
Similarly, the tandem of Davis and Dru Love was bolstered by the younger player’s putting and are pacing the 16-team field at 12 under heading into Sunday’s final round.
“I just like to watch,” smiled Davis. “It’s like Brandt (Snedeker) last week (at another team event – the Franklin Templeton Shootout). The way he’s rolling it, I may have to ask him for a (putting) lesson.”
- Tiger: No desire to clear the air with Garcia
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Mickelson to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Teater leads British Open qualifier; Guthrie 1 back
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae