Q-School is a family affair for Putnam brothers
- By Rex Hoggard
- Nov 27, 2012 7:48 PM ET
LA QUINTA, Calif. – Over the course of the next six days, Michael and Andrew Putnam will share a house, a scoreboard and maybe, if everything falls their way, a celebration next Monday when the dust settles at the final stage of Q-School.
The Putnams are the first brothers to play the Fall Classic since Deane and Brenden Pappas did it in 2002. It’s just the second professional event the two have played together. Just don’t expect any family rivalry.
In fact, the opportunity to spend the week with Michael, who is making his fifth trip to the final stage, may give Andrew Putnam an advantage at one of the game’s most unique events.
“The weirdest part about second stage is you want to win, but you know you just need to advance (to finals),” Andrew Putnam said. “It was one of the weirdest tournaments I’ve ever played.”
His week in the Coachella Valley will have a similar feel, six rounds with one goal of finishing in the top 25 and earning a PGA Tour card. The Brothers Putnam – who have been joined this week by their dad, Dan, at PGA West – have played two practice rounds together, but Andrew said the only real advice Michael has given him is to pace himself.
“I don’t know if there is that much advice he can give me,” Andrew Putnam said. “I’ve played in a lot of big events, so I don’t know that it will be that much different.”
Maybe the only difference will come on Sunday and what could turn out to be a family celebration.
Golf Channel's coverage of the 2013 Web.com Tour season gets underway Thursday with live, four-round coverage of the BMW Charity Pro-Am Read More
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Karlsson puts yips behind, qualifies for British Open
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae