SYDNEY – On Thursday John Daly took the ugly American concept to a stunning extreme. The backlash has been just as stunning.
Following Daly’s withdrawal after pumping seven golf balls into a water hazard adjacent The Lakes’ 11th hole, he was criticized by Australian Open officials and had his invitation to the Australian PGA Championship in two weeks revoked.
Australian PGA officials attempted to convene a disciplinary committee in time to keep Daly from playing the Melbourne Golf Invitational, a PGA-sanctioned pro-am, but were unable to meet in time.
If only PGA Tour officials acted with that kind of conviction.
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process