Watson gives Tebow special Masters memento
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Apr 14, 2012 9:46 PM ET
It was merely coincidence that Bubba Watson’s player badge at the Masters was No. 15 - the same number his friend Tim Tebow wears on the football field.
The eventual Masters winner thought the badge would make a nice gift for Tebow. He didn’t even unwrap it.
A week later, Watson presented the badge to Tebow during the New York Jets quarterback’s Tim Tebow Foundation Celebrity Weekend at TPC Sawgrass.
"He’s such a wonderful guy,” Tebow told Golf Channel’s Scott Walker. "He’s so caring and he’s actually been so supportive of me and my foundation. He goes above and beyond and out of his way to help and make a difference in my foundation in a lot of kids’ lives and I’m so thankful for that. I think he’s such a great role model for golf and for sports in general because he’s real, he’s authentic and he’s someone that doesn’t care what other people think.”
Watson returned the compliment, telling Walker, “It’s been crazy. I’m just a small guy from Bagdad, Florida. Never thought that I would get this much attention. Never tried to get this much attention. It’s crazy. Somebody I look up to, Tim Tebow, called me two months ago, before all this went down, and asked me if I’d play in his event and I said yeah, sure. He’s an inspiration, he’s a guy I look up to.
“It’s an honor to be here, to be a part of this.”
The shot, that’s all anyone is talking about here at the Masters. Bubba Watson’s massive hook shot on the second playoff hole last year to win the Masters will go down in major championship lore. Read More
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path