Caddie hides 15th club in bushes, player disqualified
- By Associated Press
- Jun 22, 2012 9:35 AM ET
PULHEIM, Germany – Jose Manuel Lara has been disqualified from the BMW International Open after the Spaniard's caddie attempted to hide having an extra club in his bag for the first round.
Realizing on the second hole that Lara was using 15 clubs for Thursday's round at the Gut Larcenhof course in Pulheim, the caddie, identified as Mathias Vinson, tried to hide the extra club in some bushes.
Lara thought Vinson had taken a diversion for a ''call of nature,'' but his playing partners, Damien McGrane and Peter Hedblom, became suspicious. Vinson then admitted to Lara that there had been 15 clubs in the bag.
John Paramor, chief referee of the European Tour, told Lara he was disqualified from the $2.5 million tournament because a player is responsible for his caddie's actions. Paramor also said Vinson had been asked not to return to the tour.
Tags: BMW International Open
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- DNA anomaly source of rib injuries for Snedeker
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' role
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots