Cochran, Triplett share Pebble Beach Invitational lead
- By Associated Press
- Nov 17, 2012 2:06 AM ET
PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. – Russ Cochran shot a 7-under 65 on Friday at Del Monte for a share of the Pebble Beach Invitational lead with fellow Champions Tour player Kirk Triplett.
Triplett had a 69 at Del Monte to match Cochran at 9-under 135 in the tournament that features 81 players from the PGA, LPGA, Champions and Web.com tours.
John Mallinger, the 2010 winner, was a stroke back after a 69 at Spyglass Hill.
Triplett had one bogey and four birdies, including 15-footer on the ninth, his final hole of the round.
''I putted well and drove the ball into the fairway most of the day,'' said Triplett, who claimed his first Champions Tour title in July at Pebble Beach. ''That's what you have to do at Del Monte to play well.''
Cochran, the 2009 Champions Tour rookie of the year who had three top-10 finishes this season, had five birdies and began his round with an eagle on the par-5 first hole.
William McGirt and Robert Streb were 7 under. McGirt had a 71 at Spyglass, and Streb shot a 68 at Pebble Beach, the site of the final round Sunday.
''I am very glad to be done,'' said Stallings, who won the True South Classic in Mississippi in July for his second PGA Tour victory. ''I knew how to play the course, but the greens were super soft and mushy with the foot traffic. I had a few three-putts and short-sided myself a few times and wasn't able to get up and down.''
Hall of Famer Annika Sorenstam was 5 under after a 69 at Spyglass.
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- SCORING: Bradley holding lead | Mobile Bay LPGA
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Palmer, Nicklaus release statements on Venturi
- Colsaerts loses at Volvo after bizarre drop | Results
- Bradley keeps Nelson lead | Rd. 2 at a glance
- Korda leads Mobile Bay LPGA through 36
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Video: Man drains amazing office putt down stairs
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process