Colsaerts, Kaymer, Olazabal grouped at KLM Open
- By Associated Press
- Sep 5, 2012 11:11 AM ET
HILVERSUM, Netherlands – Ryder Cup rookie Nicolas Colsaerts hopes to use the opening two rounds of the KLM Open to impress European captain Jose Maria Olazabal.
Colsaerts will play with Olazabal and another European Ryder Cup member, Martin Kaymer, for the first two rounds on the Hilversumsche course.
The 100th anniversary of the KLM Open marks Colsaerts' first competition since Olazabal picked him as one of two wild cards for the cup. The Ryder Cup is Sept. 28-30 at Medinah, outside Chicago.
''I've just had a conversation with Paul McGinley, one of the vice captains, and part of the reason for playing this week and next week in Italy is to see everyone and talk to people involved in the Ryder Cup,'' Colsaerts said. ''I want to make sure I show up at Medinah in the best state of mind.''
The Belgian is accepting congratulations at nearly every turn. He's also trying to get to know his new teammates better.
''When you look at who is in the team, I can't compare myself to players like Westwood, Garcia, Donald, who have been playing for 10 years, so you do feel like a rookie,'' said Colsaerts, who plays in the KLM Open for a 10th time, with his best finish eighth in 2010.
Kaymer, at No. 29, is the highest-ranked player in the tournament. The 48th-ranked Simon Dyson is the defending champion.
Midway through the marathon that is British Open qualifying, Josh Teater is poised to earn his first trip to golf’s oldest championship. Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Tiger: No desire to clear the air with Garcia
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Mickelson to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Teater leads British Open qualifier; Guthrie 1 back
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae