Colsaerts, Kaymer, Olazabal grouped at KLM Open
- By Associated Press
- Sep 5, 2012 11:11 AM ET
HILVERSUM, Netherlands – Ryder Cup rookie Nicolas Colsaerts hopes to use the opening two rounds of the KLM Open to impress European captain Jose Maria Olazabal.
Colsaerts will play with Olazabal and another European Ryder Cup member, Martin Kaymer, for the first two rounds on the Hilversumsche course.
The 100th anniversary of the KLM Open marks Colsaerts' first competition since Olazabal picked him as one of two wild cards for the cup. The Ryder Cup is Sept. 28-30 at Medinah, outside Chicago.
''I've just had a conversation with Paul McGinley, one of the vice captains, and part of the reason for playing this week and next week in Italy is to see everyone and talk to people involved in the Ryder Cup,'' Colsaerts said. ''I want to make sure I show up at Medinah in the best state of mind.''
The Belgian is accepting congratulations at nearly every turn. He's also trying to get to know his new teammates better.
''When you look at who is in the team, I can't compare myself to players like Westwood, Garcia, Donald, who have been playing for 10 years, so you do feel like a rookie,'' said Colsaerts, who plays in the KLM Open for a 10th time, with his best finish eighth in 2010.
Kaymer, at No. 29, is the highest-ranked player in the tournament. The 48th-ranked Simon Dyson is the defending champion.
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process