Trading in Boo for Big John in New Orleans
- By Associated Press
- Apr 24, 2012 6:31 PM ET
AVONDALE, La. – John Daly received a late invitation to play the Zurich Classic of New Orleans this week.
Boo Weekley had to withdraw Tuesday because of medical reasons. Because he was a sponsor's exemption, the tournament offered the exemption to Daly.
It will be only the third PGA Tour event this year for Daly, a two-time major champion who has not had his full Tour card in six years.
In his two previous starts on Tour, Daly tied for 51st in the Transitions Championship at Innisbrook and tied for 52nd two weeks ago at Hilton Head in the RBC Heritage. He has been playing on the European Tour this season.
Masters champion Bubba Watson is the defending champion in New Orleans.
James Walton’s tee shot at the par-3 17th stopped 4 ½ feet away from the hole on Wednesday to win the annual closet-to-the-pin caddie competition at TPC Sawgrass. Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- LIVE STREAM: Crowne Plaza Invitational, Round 2
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Rory, G-Mac MC at BMW | No 3-peat for Donald
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Colonial member Palmer fires 62 | At a glance
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' role
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Senior PGA Championship
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots