Langer leads by three at Ace Group Classic
- By Associated Press
- Feb 14, 2013 5:27 PM ET
NAPLES, Fla. – Bernhard Langer holed out from the fairway for an eagle on the par-4 10th and finished with a 10-under 62 on Friday to take a three-stroke in the Champions Tour's ACE Group Classic.
Langer hit a 9-iron from 141 yards that went right in the cup on the 10th.
''Just heard a lot of noise when it hit the flag and cup,'' he said. ''Sometimes they bounce out and go all over the place, but this one stayed in, so that was nice.''
Langer had three birdies on the front nine on TwinEagles' Talon Course, then played the back nine in 7-under 29 with the eagle and five birdies – including four in a row on Nos. 13-16.
Langer got off to a slow start with four straight pars, but was hitting the ball well.
''It was just a matter of being patient, and it can happen in golf,'' he said.
Langer needed an eagle and birdie on the last two holes to get to 59, and eagled No. 17 all three times he played it last year.
''I was thinking even though it's wet and the course is playing much longer, if I really hit a great tee shot down there, might get there (in two) with a 3-wood, but slightly mis-hit my tee shot, and that was just about 10 yards too far away to go for it,'' he said.
The 55-year-old German star, a 16-time winner on the 50-and-over tour, won the event in 2011 at The Quarry.
Bob Tway was second after a 65, and Tom Pernice Jr., Jay Don Blake and John Huston shot 66.
Tway, who has had two top-10 finishes in his last 44 events, spent the offseason working on his short game.
''I haven't been very pleased with how I've been playing, so I spent a lot of time at it,'' he said.
Light rain fell throughout the morning, with a brief heavier shower. A cold front was expected to come through Saturday and kick up wind to 15 to 20 mph, with high temperatures in the low 60s Sunday.
Tags: Kenny Perry
Kenny Perry and Sean O'Hair took a two-stroke lead in the Franklin Templeton Shootout on Saturday, birdieing the final six holes in better-ball play for an 11-under 61. Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- SCORING: Crowne Plaza | Sr. PGA Championship
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- DNA anomaly source of rib injuries for Snedeker
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' role
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots