Phil passes on Abu Dhabi, will play Humana instead
- By Associated Press
- Dec 5, 2012 2:54 PM ET
LA QUINTA, Calif. – Phil Mickelson is starting his new season in the desert, only much closer to home.
Mickelson announced Wednesday he will play in the Humana Challenge on Jan. 17-20 in La Quinta, Calif. That's the same week several of golf's biggest names will be across the globe in another desert at the Abu Dhabi Golf Championship. Tiger Woods and Jason Dufner are among the Americans playing in Abu Dhabi.
Mickelson won the tournament in 2002 and 2004, when it was known as the Bob Hope Classic. He set the tournament record in 2004 with 37 birdies, when it was a 90-hole event.
Tags: Phil Mickelson
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Rory, G-Mac MC at BMW | No 3-peat for Donald
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Colonial member Palmer fires 62 | At a glance
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' role
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Senior PGA Championship
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots