Phil passes on Abu Dhabi, will play Humana instead
- By Associated Press
- Dec 5, 2012 2:54 PM ET
LA QUINTA, Calif. – Phil Mickelson is starting his new season in the desert, only much closer to home.
Mickelson announced Wednesday he will play in the Humana Challenge on Jan. 17-20 in La Quinta, Calif. That's the same week several of golf's biggest names will be across the globe in another desert at the Abu Dhabi Golf Championship. Tiger Woods and Jason Dufner are among the Americans playing in Abu Dhabi.
Mickelson won the tournament in 2002 and 2004, when it was known as the Bob Hope Classic. He set the tournament record in 2004 with 37 birdies, when it was a 90-hole event.
Tags: Phil Mickelson
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Kuchar leads suspended Crowne | Glance | Scores
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- USC women sweep team, individual titles at NCAAs
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Sr. PGA lead | Scores
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots