DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – Christine Song shot a 2-under 70 in windy conditions Friday on LPGA International’s Champions Course to increase her lead to five strokes after the third round of the LPGA Final Qualifying Tournament.
“I was scrambling so much today,” said the 20-year-old Song, from Fullerton, Calif. “My shots weren’t very good and my chipping and putting were so-so, but I got it done.”
She had a 10-under 206 total in the five-round event.
The top 40 and ties will receive LPGA Tour membership.
Jennie Lee was second after a 69 on the Champions Course.
“I putted really well today and my short game was good,” said the 25-year-old Lee, a member of the Duke team that won the 2007 NCAA title on the Legends Course. “I have some good memories here.”
Jacqui Concolino and amateur Stephanie Kono were 3 under. Concolino had a 71, and Kono shot a 75. They also played the Champions Course.
“My ball-striking just wasn’t very solid, so I need to go try to figure it out on the range,” said Kono, a senior at UCLA. “Fortunately, there are two more rounds to go.”
Concolino, a 24-year-old former Vanderbilt player, eagled the par-5 13th hole, hitting a 3-wood from 235 yards to 8 feet.
“That was the shot of the day,” Concolino said. “I made a few really good putts.”
Seventeen-year-old Ginger Howard, trying to become only the fifth black player on the LPGA, was tied for 27th at 4 over after a 71 on the Champions Course. She shot a 79 on Thursday on the Legends Course.
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Kuchar leads suspended Crowne | Glance | Scores
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- USC women sweep team, individual titles at NCAAs
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Sr. PGA lead | Scores
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots