Stenson heads to Sunday with South Africa lead
- By Associated Press
- Nov 17, 2012 4:20 PM ET
JOHANNESBURG – Henrik Stenson of Sweden closed in on a first European Tour win in three years Saturday, taking a three-shot lead into the final round of the South African Open despite George Coetzee shooting a course-record 63.
Stenson had six birdies and three bogeys in a 69 for a 16-under total of 200. Coetzee and Magnus Carlsson were three shots back.
Stenson is looking for his first title since The Players Championship in 2009. He'll need to hold off a fast-finishing Coetzee on Sunday.
The South African had nine birdies and an eagle to break the course record at Serengeti. He had two bogeys on the back nine.
Martin Kaymer's 68 put him at 8 under, while Charl Schwartzel had a 74 to slip 10 shots off the pace.
Tags: Henrik Stenson
Henrik Stenson really wants to get back into the Masters for the eighth straight year. Not just for all the obvious reasons, either. Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process