Stenson heads to Sunday with South Africa lead
- By Associated Press
- Nov 17, 2012 4:20 PM ET
JOHANNESBURG – Henrik Stenson of Sweden closed in on a first European Tour win in three years Saturday, taking a three-shot lead into the final round of the South African Open despite George Coetzee shooting a course-record 63.
Stenson had six birdies and three bogeys in a 69 for a 16-under total of 200. Coetzee and Magnus Carlsson were three shots back.
Stenson is looking for his first title since The Players Championship in 2009. He'll need to hold off a fast-finishing Coetzee on Sunday.
The South African had nine birdies and an eagle to break the course record at Serengeti. He had two bogeys on the back nine.
Martin Kaymer's 68 put him at 8 under, while Charl Schwartzel had a 74 to slip 10 shots off the pace.
Tags: Henrik Stenson
Henrik Stenson really wants to get back into the Masters for the eighth straight year. Not just for all the obvious reasons, either. Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- U.S. Open: Articles, videos, pics | Coverage | Social
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path