PHOENIX – Ai Miyazato birdied three straight holes on the back nine and finished with a 6-under 66 for a share of the lead with Yani Tseng in the LPGA Founders Cup.
Miyazato, the ninth-ranked Japanese player who has seven LPGA victories, birdied Nos. 14-16 and closed with two pars for a bogey-free round in partly cloudy, breezy conditions at Wildfire Golf Club. The weather is expected to be a big factor Sunday, with the temperature plunging into the 50s and rain and strong winds forecast.
Tseng had a chance to take the outright lead on the par-4 18th after hitting to 10 feet out of the right fairway bunker, but her birdie putt rolled just past the left edge. The top-ranked Taiwanese star settled for a 67 to match Miyazato at 14 under.
Tseng successfully defended her LPGA Thailand title in February for her 13th LPGA victory. She led the tour last season with seven victories—including major victories in the LPGA Championship and Women’s British Open—and finished the year with 12 worldwide titles.
Staked to a big lead heading into singles, the U.S. turned in a dominating performance at the Palmer Cup, winning 20.5-9.5. Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path