CENTURION, South Africa – Dawie Van Der Walt became the fifth South African winner in 10 European Tour events this season with his two-shot victory at the Tshwane Open on Sunday.
Van Der Walt posted a final-round 5-under 67 to finish at 21 under overall for his first win on the tour.
The Texas-based golfer is ranked 436th in the world. Van Der Walt was among four players tied for the lead after the third round, including fellow South African Darren Fichardt, who shot 69 to finish second at 19 under in the European and Sunshine Tour event.
''You start doubting yourself and at 30 years old you start to wonder if you're good enough and this shows me that I am,'' Van Der Walt said. ''I would have liked to win before 30, but I'll definitely take this. Golf is a game where you don't get a lot of chances to win, and to do it is fantastic.
''I hit the ball really good and I never really had to chip, which is not my strength. If you hit a lot of greens and don't three-putt then you're going to do well.''
Local favorite Fichardt broke the early deadlock atop the leaderboard with birdies at Nos. 2 and 3.
Van Der Walt then countered by holing a 40-foot putt for eagle at the longest hole in the 41-year history of the European Tour – the 685-yard par-5 fourth hole.
Fichardt responded with a birdie at the fifth but Van Der Walt birdied the sixth and seventh holes and held the lead from there. South African Louis De Jager posted a 69 to finish third on 18 under.
2010 U.S. Amateur champion Peter Uihlein is still seeking his first pro win. He was fourth – his best-ever European Tour finish – with a 69 that included an eighth-hole eagle for a 17-under total.
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Guan WDs from Open qualifying | Playing Memorial
- Euro captain McGinley adds third Ryder Cup pick
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth