Watson is a longtime rival and friend of tournament host Jack Nicklaus. He won 39 times on the PGA Tour along with eight majors, none as memorable as the two times he beat Nicklaus. First came the famous “Duel in the Sun” at Turnberry in 1977 for the British Open, then Watson’s chip-in behind the 17th green to beat Nicklaus at Pebble Beach in the 1982 U.S. Open.
One of his last PGA Tour wins was at the 1996 Memorial, which Watson won at age 46 by two shots over David Duval.
Watson will be honored at next year’s tournament, and get a bronze plaque on a wall that includes all the game’s greats.
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- LIVE STREAM: Senior PGA Championship, Round 1
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Anchoring attorney: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Back-nine 41 dooms McIlroy's BMW PGA opener
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Instruction: Tips to strike your putts more solidly