NEW DELHI – Peter Whiteford of Scotland shot a 4-under 68 Friday to take a two-shot lead after the second round of the Avantha Masters.
Whiteford, who shared the first-round lead with Alejandro Canizares of Spain after a 66, moved to 10-under 134 at the halfway stage as he seeks his first win on the European Tour.
Canizares is tied for 16th after a second-round 73 left him with a 139 total. Prom Meesawat of Thailand is second at 8 under after shooting 64 in the second round.
Whiteford, who had five birdies and sank a 30-yard eagle putt on the par-4 sixth, said he had a fine day despite starting play in cold weather.
“Once it warmed up a bit I started to play better and gave myself a few chances,” Whiteford said. “I wouldn’t say the swing feels brilliant, but sometimes that’s when you play your best golf – when you’re struggling a wee bit.”
Whiteford said he needs to play another solid round to remain in contention on the last day.
“My improved driving has helped me in the tournament even though I did not use it so much today. I just need to concentrate – to be 10 under is very good, but I wouldn’t say I’m overly confident,” he said.
John Daly withdrew with an elbow injury during his first-round 7-over 79 on Thursday.
Alejandro Canizares of Spain and Peter Whiteford of Scotland both shot a 6-under 66 Thursday to share the lead after the first round of the Avantha Masters. Read More
The man who saved Tiger Woods from disqualification at the Masters? It was reportedly Champions Tour player David Eger. Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process