ORLANDO, Fla. – The Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers will slug it out in the NFL’s marquee game just more than a week from now, but the golf industry’s own Super Bowl – the PGA Merchandise Show – tees it up Thursday morning in Orlando with a three-day industry barrage of golf, golf and well, more golf than you could shake a graphite shaft at.
Puma Golf tent.
And since you, the eager golf enthusiast who is ready to embark on a promising 2011 golf season, aren’t able to participate, “Leading Edge” will report as your eyes and ears for everything and anything golf that will make 2011 your best year on the links. Or at least that's what you'll tell yourself when you pull that VISA out to make your purchase.
For those who don’t know much about the show, upward of 40,000 PGA professionals, golf retailers, industry execs and other golf types descend into the gargantuan space that is the Orange County Convention Center, which, in 2010, translated into more than 10 miles of show aisles, 1,000 vendor booths and enough eye candy for the golf-lover to go blind. Permanently.
Since 2003, the show has even expanded further, taking its effects into a real golfing realm at the similarly over-excessive, full-circle driving range at Orange County National for one of the largest demo exhibitions in the world, preceding the official Thursday opening inside of the convention center’s walls of golf magic.
“Leading Edge” was on hand at OCN Wednesday and reports back with a few tantalizing – and random – images, despite the brisk, windy conditions central Florida saw following a strong Tuesday night storm. Enjoy and stay tuned as various Golf Channel talent will blog Thursday through Saturday from every corner of the PGA Merchandise Show.
Click to see more pictures from the PGA Merchandise Show Demo Day at Orange Country National GC.
Levy joined the Golf Channel team in 2010 as associate editor for GolfChannel.com.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path