J40 irons: The bridge to lower scores
- By Global Golf Post
- Oct 10, 2011 12:00 PM ET
The J40 iron line from Bridgestone Golf represents the latest upgrade in that category by the Georgia-based clubmaker and is comprised of two new models, both of which are designed to appeal to better players.
One is the J40 Forged Dual Pocket Cavity, which is geared toward single-digit golfers and those whose handicaps creep into the low teens. According to Corey Consuegra, golf club marketing manager for Bridgestone, this forged offering made of 1020 mild carbon steel builds on the weight management system introduced in its predecessor, the J38. The J40 features even more discretionary weight to the perimeter in an effort to create even higher moment of inertia (MOI) for greater stability – and for better chances of squaring the clubface at impact.
“We’ve also improved the leading edge in this J40 to help prevent digging in softer conditions,” Consuegra adds. “And we lowered center of gravity (CG) for higher launch and ball flight.”
The other new offering is the J40 Forged Cavity Back, which is currently being played on the PGA Tour by Brandt Snedeker, who posted back-to-back top-10 finishes the first two times he put them into play late in the summer.
Consuegra says that the J40 CBs are also forged from 1020 mild carbon steel and feature a more compact head with higher face progression to promote a mid-height launch. In addition, they have a unique, v-cut cavity design that places more mass higher on the clubface for a higher CG and a more penetrating, tour-like ball flight. A tapered sole design is intended to help players work the ball more easily, while an enhanced trailing edge is supposed to provide better performance from a variety of lies, especially those in the rough.
Available in mid-October, both J40 models come with Project X flighted as the stock shaft and with standard set configurations of 5-PW (though 3- and 4-irons may be purchased upon request).
Global Golf Post is the first weekly golf publication designed specifically for digital.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path