Callaway’s new GPS device, the UPRO MX+, has a number of noteworthy features. For starters, it’s preloaded with 25,000 golf courses. Select what the equipment maker has dubbed Basic Mode, and you can access yardage and hazard data from any and all of those tracks. Switch to GoMode, and you can get yardage as well as renderings of the greens and hazards of each layout.
But the company says what makes the UPRO MX+ really stand out is the ProMode function, which enables golfers to view actual high-resolution, aerial imagery and video flyovers of each hole for detailed and realistic views of the course they are playing.
“The UPRO MX+ is the result of extensive listening to what golfers want out of a distance measuring device,” says Dr. Alan Hocknell, senior vice president of research and development at Callaway Golf. “Active listening was followed by a lot of hard work to deliver an easy to use, meaningful experience that will help golfers see more and know more out on the course and give them the confidence to hit better shots.”
The UPRO MX+ weighs a mere three ounces and boasts a full-color, 2.2-inch LCD touch screen. Its software features Anypoint Technology, which shows golfers the yardage to any location selected on the hole, and then the yardage from that spot to the green. A digital scorecard also allows players to track their scores and record basic golf statistics, such as putts per round, fairways hit and greens hit in regulation.
According to Callaway technicians, golfers can load as many as 50 ProMode courses onto the device at any one time from the company’s website (www.callawayuxplore.com). This is at no additional charge after paying the suggested retail price ($249 in the U.S.) for the GPS device itself. The website also gives golfers the chance to manage other functions, including analysis of their scores and stats and the chance to review any of the 25,000 golf courses on the database they are planning to play.
Global Golf Post is the first weekly golf publication designed specifically for digital.
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth