Dustin Johnsons ball speed is one of the highest
- By Casey Bierer
- Jul 1, 2009 2:07 PM ET
Indeed, Johnson’s ball speed is among the highest on the PGA Tour. According to statistics from TaylorMade-adidas Golf’s Tour Department, Johnson’s ball speed reached 190 miles per hour during testing at The Kingdom, TaylorMade’s performance testing center in Carlsbad, Calif., this off-season. His clubhead speed topped out at 130 mph. Not surprisingly, Johnson led the field in driving distance at the AT&T at 288 yards, and his 309.9-yard average ranked fourth on the Tour a year ago.
What is surprising is that Johnson’s Burner ’09 driver has 10.5 degrees of loft, a degree or two more than the typical long hitter’s specs. The extra loft is required because of Johnson’s steep angle of approach into the ball. Johnson plays from a pretty shut clubface position, which is one of the reasons why he hits his irons so far.
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play