Ironically, Stenson was playing the same strong 3-wood (Callaway Big Bertha, 13 degrees, Grafalloy Blue shaft, X-flex) back in '07. "I like to hit my 3-wood a lot, and that club just matches perfectly around here – a little right-to-left shape a lot of times," said Stenson following Sunday's bogey-free round of 6-under 66.
It also helps that Stenson can carry his 3-wood 270 yards. He averaged 299 yards on Sunday using his 3-wood on all but one driving hole – the par-5 11th. Stenson hit his lone driver of the day there, and made birdie.
"I hit my 3-wood far," said Stenson. "I hit a good one down No. 18 the other day, and I think it said 318 [yards] or something like that [on the ShotLink board]. When you get one going on these fast, firm fairways, they can run on."
Stenson also played a Big Bertha 19-degree fairway wood, Callaway FT-3 driver (9.5 degrees), Srixon 1-506 irons, Callaway X Tour wedges (54 and 58 degrees), YES! C-Groove Donna putter, and Srixon Z-UR golf ball. The Swede is not one for change: A look at his What's in the Bag for the 2007 WGC event lists the same clubs except the Big Bertha 19-degree fairway wood.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path