Mizuno, Donald unveil new irons, wedges
- By Global Golf Post
- Oct 29, 2012 11:41 AM ET
Mizuno engineers turned to company brand ambassador Luke Donald when it came time to develop its newest line of player’s clubs, as well as it latest offering of wedges. That’s not surprising when you consider that Donald is not only one of the best ball-strikers in the game but also one of its finest wedge players.
Let’s start with the Mizuno MP-64 irons, which feature a deeper cavity in the long irons for increased playability and a shallower cavity in the mid- and short-irons for enhanced control and workability. In making these, technicians say they also paired what they call Harmonic Impact Technology, which is designed to precisely control vibration frequencies at the point of impact. This is done with 1025E Pure Select steel and Mizuno’s patented Grain Flow Forging Process for superior feel.
According to Chuck Close, director of marketing for golf at Mizuno, the MP-64s have been in development for about 18 months.
“They were designed with Luke Donald for Luke Donald,” he says, adding that the Englishman was instrumental in the refinement of the sole in this line so it delivers consistent turf interaction for predictable trajectory and better control off the clubface. “And Luke liked the clubs so much that he started using them before the FedEx Cup started this year, which was a little earlier than we had expected.”
Donald has also been using the new MP-T4 wedges from Mizuno, which he also helped design. They, too, are made with the company’s Grain Flow Forging process and utilize 1025E Pure Select steel. Close says the soles of these clubs are designed to provide more toe and heel relief.
In addition, the CNC milled face combines with Mizuno’s exclusive Quad Cut Groove technology to maximize spin control and ball-stopping ability in all conditions. True Temper DG Spinner shafts come stock in these sticks, and the wedges are available in two finishes – white satin and black nickel. Golfers may also personalize their MP-T4s with up to six characters, letters and/or numbers in 12 different colors, at no extra cost.
This article provided by Global Golf Post. To get more information on a weekly digital subscription, click here.
Global Golf Post is the first weekly golf publication designed specifically for digital.
- LIVE STREAM: Crowne Plaza Invitational, Round 2
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Rory, G-Mac MC at BMW | No three-peat for Donald
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Colonial member Palmer fires 62 | At a glance
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' role
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Senior PGA Championship
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots